Sunday, October 14, 2012

Design of a corner TV table

[Image]
Several years ago I wanted to buy a TV table that I could place into a corner. I went to every nearby furniture store but couldn't find any model designed for corners! So I had to build one myself.
I've designed it on a piece of paper without much knowledge about proper sizes. The only size I had was the width because I knew how wide my 40" TV was. I also did some beginner mistakes like missing a gap between legs and upper plate. Without the gap screws would be too close to the edge of the plate and they could break the material. Additionally it is much easier to grasp the table with gaps. I also made some miscalculations that I could avoid if I was using some CAD software. Still I like the final result and I'm sharing it here for everybody.

I've used 16mm thick particle board (chipboard) and to connect everything together camlocks were used. I couldn't find a wiki page for that so here is the picture:
[Image]
A camlock
Each leg is connected to upper and lower plates with four camlocks (two per plate). The middle plate is simply placed on angle brackets. And if I was to assemble the table again I would not use the camlocks at all because they are too difficult to work with. Instead I'd use angle brackets for all plates to avoid drilling.

Below I'm placing pictures with sizes in millimeters as well as a page with a 3D model one could play with online.

[Image]
Bottom view

[Image]
Front view

[Image]
Left view

To play with the 3D model of the table online visit this page (browser shall support WebGL).

The model was created using Sketchup available for free. Sketchup model files of the table are here

Below are the real pictures of the table with all the stuff in it:

[Image]

[Image]


Under the lower plate I've placed a stack of old CD's because my receiver is heavy. This of course could be solved by a long stripe of chipboard placed under the plate.

No comments: